Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday: Diabetes Hacks



Diabetes hacks... do I have any? I've been living with diabetes for a while now, and I still don't have a box of tricks. Today's prompt says anything from clothing mods to Dexcom in a glass. I might have a tip like that. Just one. Okay. Maybe two. Or three.

The first one is an easy clothing modification for ladies. Have you seen those dresses with pockets on the front? I love those dresses. I have two because I'm a sucker for clothes with pockets. I cut a hole in the back of the pockets and put super glue on the edges of the cut to keep it from fraying. Then I snake my pump tubing through the hole and keep my pump in one of the cute little pockets on the front. Easy. Not hard to figure out.

The second trick I have isn't much of a trick either. When I decided to get better about changing my set on time, I bought myself a book of Lisa Frank stickers. It only cost a dollar, and it's much easier to keep track of my set changes when I mark them on my wall calendar with a pretty sticker. Similarly, I have a dry-erase calendar on my fridge that I use to keep track of taking all my pills. Every day I take my pill and put a check on the calendar. Visualization is the key. 

My third and final trick is another simple one. Part of my New Year's resolutions was to leave less medical waste around the apartment. We all know how hard it is to keep track of the zillion used test strips we generate. I got some little desk organizer things to stick my used strips in so they don't get all over the place. Well, fewer of them get all over the place. 
Displaying image.jpeg

Okay, those are all the tips I have. They don't feel like clever life hacks, but it's all I have to offer. 

*edit* Okay, I have a fourth. When you're wearing a dress with thigh high tights, you can put your pump in the thigh band. It's actually not terribly uncomfortable. I posted about that here. Alternatively, you can harvest the thigh band to use without the tights.

2 comments:

  1. These are great hacks!! And oh how I wish all dresses had pockets, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pocket trick is BRILLIANT, and any time I get to use stickers I count as a good time. Your hacks are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete