Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving...and thanksforgetting

Turkey Day. National Overeating Day. Thanksgiving. Call it whatever you want, but it usually involves copious amounts of food, and copious amounts of insulin. Couple that with the stress of being away from my family for the first time ever during a holiday. And the stress of meeting various members of my boyfriend's family. This should equate to a lot of insulin. So, I squeezed myself into a nice dress and clipped my pump to the inside of my thigh high pantyhose. It worked very well in terms of keeping my pump secure in a dress. It's the first time I've kept it there. On the way to Thanksgiving lunch (my boyfriend's family is dealing with kitchen renovations, so we ate out), I discreetly did my blood test. I rang in at 200, but stress and croissants will do that. Then I ate a huge meal including potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. And cookies. It was tasty. I was working on a way to discreetly get away from the table to go bolus (for both the 200 and the food), but I kept getting distracted. Can you guess where this is going? I never bolused. It took me about 7 hours to realize this. When I checked... 205. I ate a zillion carbs without insulin and I didn't die. It's a Thanksgiving miracle!

For those wondering, this is what it looks like when you keep your pump in thigh highs:





Surprisingly, keeping my pump in my stockings was not uncomfortable, even though I ended up with a large indention that looks eerily like my pump. It worked well, and would have been great if I had managed to get to the restroom to bolus. On the other hand, how low would I have gone?! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Courtney! I feel your thanksgiving meal pain! What kind of pump do you have? Mine has a remote control which works but has mildly average settings. You can set a bolus dose amount but only one. I have mine set for 1 unit of insulin, so if you want to do say 4 units of insulin you have to attempt to press the button the correct number of times and then press ACT. It sometimes works, but at least it is getting something into you without having to dismintle your whole pump set up. When i have used it, i have found that it did deliver bolus doses, often not the same dose i was intending but it at least kept my blood sugar vaguely in control when i was wearing a no pump access dress..

    Gotta love the power of constant eating on a blood sugar though! I have just written a similar blog about christmas eating behaviour and pumping the day away! :) Hope you are well and enjoying this festive season! All the best!

    Isabel

    www.isabelsjourney.net

    ReplyDelete