Monday, January 6, 2014

If diabetes were a person...

I think I'm going to make this a continual game on my blog. If diabetes were a person, what would I say to it on any given day? Today diabetes is being that friend that everyone has that they tolerate. Today diabetes is being that clingy friend that you feel irrationally bad about hating sometimes.

It started out simple enough. Like most of my Tweets, I just spat it out.


Why did I choose to express my hate at that moment? My BG was fine, my pump was perfect: set, reservoir, battery... all good. Diabetes wasn't even being challenging at the time. Why the rage?

I've been... otherwise occupied. Not busy, exactly, just occupied. My mother had back surgery on Friday. Since then I've been hanging out at my parents' house helping out. Cooking, cleaning, laundry. I'm trying to register for classes I need that are all full. I miss my boyfriend. It's really cold outside (seriously, 17 degrees in Atlanta. Yuck). Like it normally does, diabetes has been that "friend" following me around screaming "BUT WHAT ABOUT ME?!?" I just have to deal with it. Take a few minutes to assure it that I haven't forgotten about it, and manage things. All things considered, I suppose diabetes hasn't been so demanding recently; my numbers have been okay and my pump hasn't done anything stupid for a few days. 

I'm just tired of dealing with it. I have better things to be doing with my time. Here it is:

Diabetes,

I know I haven't been giving you the attention you're used to. I haven't synced my pump in a while. I know. But we did those blood tests together today. I changed my reservoir. I corrected for that high. Thank you for being understanding right now. I am helping my family right now and trying to get things together for the semester. So, thanks for not throwing a temper tantrum. I am fully aware you could be making things so much worse right now. Just know that while I do still hate you, I don't hate you any less just because I haven't been giving you the attention you're used to. I promise you at least 4 blood tests per day. 

Regards,

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment