Thursday, February 6, 2014

From the trenches, reporting from the endo's office

Somebody once wrote: Hell is the impossibility of reason. That's what this place feels like. Hell. I hate it, and it's only been an hour. 

Okay, I took a slight liberty there. But I was at the endocrinologist's office today, and I couldn't help but draw the comparisons. The first step: Separate me from things I find comforting.




Of course, I did get it back, but it's the principle that is dirty. The left me sit to rot in boredom. Sure, I had a heap of textbooks that I could read, but they really wanted me to suffer like that? I did use the tools at my disposal to keep my mind sharp: text books and a feeble LTE connection. I needed to make sure those on the outside knew of my suffering.




I was onto their trickery.



And then finally... it got worse. So much worse.



This is an office run by sadists. They want me to be off of my mental game so I will spill my diabetes secrets. They want me to admit to eating four cookies on December 15th. D'oh! My mind is still mushy from the abuse.

All joking aside, it was a fairly typical appointment. I did have a long wait, but my doctor had a DKA in the hospital. For right now, all of my correction factors seem to be working well, except my overnight, which was changed. Aaaaaaand



This goes for blood sugars. I'm doing much, much better than I was doing at my last appointment. I have been neglecting my Synthroid lately, but I promise to get better on that. I just haven't developed a good system for remembering it every day. I had my blood drawn and I should get my results back next week. I think my A1C will be down from the whopping 8.9 it was in November.

2 comments:

  1. All I could think while reading this was... "did you get your pump back"? I've had mine taken for (what seems like) ten minutes to download the data, but I'd start raising hell if I was without basal for an hour! I'm paranoid like that.

    And if you've ever been on-hold with an insurance company or supplier (as I assume you must have been), repeating Muzak should be a familiar experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord, the Muzak. Ha. They actually did have my pump for ten minutes. Usually it only takes three or so. I was just about to go ask about it when they brought it back. I was especially anxious as I came in with a BG of 196.

      Delete