Wednesday, April 23, 2014

5 Stages of Low Blood Sugar

We've all had that low experience, the one where something goes awry in your brain and you don't treat it quickly and move on with life. The one where things happen so fast and someone else has to get involved. That is the low that this post is about. I just had one of these lows today in the gym, and I am so thankful that my mother happened to be there today. I didn't quite grasp what was going on as it was happening. It hasn't happened like that for a while. It also happened to be my first training session, so I was letting the trainer push me. That's his job. Apparently I let him push me into ignoring my low signals. So, here I present the 5 stages of low blood sugar.

1. Suspicion. Am I low? Am I shaky because I just did a bunch of squats? Maybe I'm low. Give it a few minutes and we'll reevaluate.

2. Denial/ belligerence. No, I'm not low. I don't want glucose tabs. I don't need glucose tabs. No, I don't want juice. No, I won't drink the juice. Get it away from me. I don't want any damn juice!

3. Acceptance. I'm low. Oh man, I'm so low. I'm just going to sit down, put my head down here. Just give me a minute.

4. Black Hole. I drank the juice. I ate the crackers. What else is there? I need to eat more. Now. Everything in my belly. Now.

5. Rebound high. I shouldn't have had so much juice. Crap, now I have to take more insulin. God, I hope I don't overdo it.

I know everyone experiences lows, but this is often how it plays out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment